St Mary’s stands at the very heart of Ilkeston and is the ancient parish church of the town. We value both our history and location, seeking to reach out to the community that surrounds us and to value all that is best in our heritage, while being open to all the new things that God has in store for us.
The Vicar’s Prayer for Unity and Understanding
Heavenly Father, we pray for our United Kingdom in the light of the Scottish vote. We pray for all those disappointed by the outcome and hope that, by careful consideration and thoughtful negotiations, all peoples in our united land may grow to appreciate the strength of continuing together.
St. Mary’s has had a peal of bells since 1732. These have been recast and added to, making up the current ring of 8 bells, installed in 1910. The bearings that the bells turn on have become worn after over 100 years. In order to keep the bells ringing out over Ilkeston for future generations the bearings need replacing and work on the frames, wheels and clappers are urgently required. We have to raise £30,000 to complete this work.
Any donations would be very much appreciated and should be sent to Mr John Bell, Treasurer, St Mary’s Church, Market Place, ILKESTON. DE7 5JA.